Following the cold winter months you probably don’t think about your fireplace very much, but Spring Cleaning of your chimney is an important part of keeping your fireplace and flue in a safe and functional condition.
As you burn logs in your fireplace the smoke builds up creating soot, ash, and creosote residue that can destroy the brick and mortar and cause a fire hazard. Call the specialists at 313 AIR-DUCT to remove that build up annually and keep the system ready for next winter. More importantly, these regular cleanings will prevent chimney fires that can damage or destroy your chimney.
Here are some warning signs of a chimney flue fire:
- “Puffy” or “honey combed” creosote
- Warped metal of the damper, metal smoke chamber connector pipe or factory-built metal chimney
- Cracked or collapsed flue tiles, or tiles with large chunks missing
- Discolored and/or distorted rain cap
- Creosote flakes and pieces found on the roof or ground
- Roofing material damaged from hot creosote
- Cracks in exterior masonry
- Evidence of smoke escaping through mortar joints of masonry or tile liners
Follow these tips to reduce dryer lint build-up and keep your home safe:
- It has been pointed out that the homeowner’s failure to clean the chimney can provide the fuel for a chimney fire.
- It has been suggested on more than one occasion that the homeowner’s lack of maintenance was a factor contributing to the damage.
- Keeping the flue clean will ensure that your masonry is safe and not subjected to overheating and intense temperatures of a chimney fire.
It has been suggested on more than one occasion that the homeowner’s lack of maintenance was a factor contributing to the damage. Keeping the flue clean will ensure that your masonry is safe and not subjected to overheating and intense temperatures of a chimney fire.
Schedule a Full Chimney Cleaning from 313 AIR-DUCT
The best way to keep your chimney clean is to have the technicians at 313 AIR-DUCT service your chimney each season following burning. Proper maintenance and regular cleanings ensure your flue is working at prime efficiency and safety. Keeping the chimney serviceable and clear will save you from costly repairs and the risk of fire. Call 313 AIR-DUCT today to schedule a chimney cleaning from our IICRC-certified technicians.